Sunday 26 July 2015

V&A



This week I spent some time looking around the V&A museum. We saw the Alexander McQueen exhibit, Savage Beauty, which was pretty amazing. While his stuff isn't my style at all, it was definitely interesting to look at and quite awe inspiring. Some of the dresses he designed were absolutely crazy, I personally was really impressed with the dress that was completely covered in oyster shells. Unfortunately no pictures were allowed, but other exhibitions allowed photography so here are some highlights...


I really liked the the "What is Luxury?" exhibit. One of my favorite pieces was this lamp made from dandelions and bronze circuitry. I thought it was a really interesting and beautiful piece.


This piece by Stanislav Libensky was also one of my favorites. This picture doesn't do it any justice, but the light quality is really interesting. Libensky played with different treatments of the two sides of the piece, so one side is more matte while the side shown is glossy. The opacity is also played with by  the thickness of the glass. It probably isn't considered a must see in the V&A, but I thought the design was exceptionally beautiful. 


This room in the V&A in general was amazing to me. Just the size of the objects in here were amazing to me. Also, what is pictured is Trajan's column (in two pieces...thats how big it is!) And I learned about it in architectural history. It's always fun to see something you've studied in depth in person!! 




1 comment:

  1. The dandelion chandelier was one of my favorites in the Luxury exhibit...how does one wrap a bloom around a circuit and make it light up??! Amazing and luxurious!

    ReplyDelete